Raptr Data

Battlefield vs. Call of Duty – Raptr Data Settles the Score

This fall has been called by some to have the ‘greatest lineup of AAA games’ in history. And even among the list of all of the blockbuster games that have come out in the past several weeks, Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 have been arguably the two most hyped up games. The two storied FPS rivals came out within 2 weeks of each other, and went head-to-head in a marketing blitz that generated a TON of predictions as to which game was going to out-do its counterpart.

Here at Raptr, we don’t deal in vague predictions or conjectures. Because we have cold hard data that we get from tracking playtime behaviors of our 10 million plus gamer community, we can SHOW which game was more popular. Hype is one thing, but does it translate to actual play time? We answer that question here.

1. Xbox 360 players logged 40% more launch-day playtime in Modern Warfare 3 than Battlefield 3
  2. Xbox 360 players logged 17% more first-week playtime in Modern Warfare 3 than Battlefield 3
  3. Modern Warfare 3 has accumulated more total hours played in one week post-launch than Battlefield 3 has in three weeks post-launch
  4. 53% of Battlefield 3 players on Xbox 360 are also playing Modern Warfare 3, compared to just 31% of Modern Warfare 3 players who also played Battlefield 3
  5. During the first week of launch, Modern Warfare 3 stole the most playtime from Battlefield 3 than any other game
  6. For the first time ever for any franchise, three Call of Duty games were in the top 10 playtime charts on Raptr

Now, let’s see if we can contrast those numbers with some opinions from our community of core gamers. We asked our community a series of questions that compare the two franchises in different categories. Surprisingly, player sentiment was overwhelmingly in favor of the Battlefield franchise in almost all categories. To date, more than 6,000 respondents have participated in the poll.

1. 81% of respondents were more excited for Battlefield 3 than Modern Warfare 3
  2. 92% of respondents felt DICE was the more innovative developer than Infinity Ward
  3. 58% of respondents said the Battlefield franchise has had a bigger impact on the FPS genre
  4. Responses were split 50/50 on the question – Which franchise has had bigger ‘Oh Sh!t’ moments?
  5. 80% of respondents felt the Call of Duty has had consistently more hype through its marketing – To date, this is the only category led by Call of Duty
  6. 75% of respondents think that they will still be playing Battlefield 3 three months from now

Many of these questions were asked before both of the games were released, so you can see how much excitement was generated for Battlefield’s latest game, but when the games were actually out, Modern Warfare 3 pretty handily trounced its rival in terms of playtime.

What does it all mean? It’s clear that EA made a valiant effort in challenging Call of Duty’s dominance by rallying its fanbase and generating massive support around the launch of Battlefield 3. However, when push comes to shove, COD dominated.

If you’d like to read the full press release, you can check it out here.

1. k1DBLITZ says:

Why no pc stats?

2. Obi TW0 says:

I reckon the stats, especially when compared to the poll show that while most hardcore gamers are firmly in the BF3 camp (or at least open to playing both), there’s a huge market out there who only know about their annual CoD fix and don’t deviate from that. Nothing wrong with getting more people into gaming, but it would be good to educate the more casual crowd to the wider choice available.

3. mundox says:

Blablabla xbox. COD is console game… an xbox game that sells like justin shitber does. And yeah, where are the pc stats?

4. Svenn says:

These stats mean nothing. You are comparing only Xbox stats. Battlefield has a much better following on PC.

Either way, more sales doesn’t mean better game. As Obi TW0 said, the hardcore are playing BF3 and the casual crowds are jumping on MW3.

Is any of this really a surprise to anyone?

5. Aron H. says:

Sure MW3 had more gameplay time on launch day but alot of people took MW3 back and bought Battlefield 3

6. 4th3ist4ng3l says:

@mundox If you’re going to call out consoles may as well include all of the game’s (MW3) platforms: PS3 and Wii. Not just Xbox.

7. bf3FANBOY says:

please people they are games…. go play them and stop ruining them with your terrible chat. Bf3 seems to now have the worst whiny fans now, let the game do the talking…

8. AlphaInfection says:

I’m a devout battlefield fan and in my personal opinion it is better than COD. One of the main reasons for that is the fact that infinity ward just used the same game blueprint for their last 4 games. That is what killed it for me. But that said, I do belive that they have strayed from their over-used game skeleton which is god to see. But because I dont know if they have strayed far enough for it to define itself from the others, i’ll be passing on buying it.

9. mike says:

Obi Two@ Yea, you found the answer.. cod players can’t read or see the bf3 advertiseing pictures that were on ALL gamin related websites…
    I am sure that this is the reason and not the proven good gameplay that it had trough the years in both profesional competitions and casual gamers.
    And yea bf3 is so inovateing and not just a bf2 game play with new graphics…

10. Obi TW0 says:

@mike Wow, sarcasm…nice! :-p The point I was trying to make was that there is a large casual crowd who know the likes of CoD and FIFA and won’t deviate from that, no matter how much advertising is thrown their way. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that or that hardcore gamers don’t like CoD. Quite the opposite in fact. I’m saying that the stats are skewed because of those facts, not promoting one game over the other. I’m playing BF3 currently but have asked for MW3 for Christmas and will play both. I’m a core gamer and like to experience the best of everything that’s out there. There are plenty of people out there however, who just like to stick to the next installment of their favourite franchises, who wouldn’t go onto a gaming site and vote in a BF vs CoD poll.

11. denny says:

cod 6 is better

12. Romero says:

Take it or leave it! Battlefield3 vs MW3. Most critics have responded: There’s not much of a difference, but MW3 won!
    I agree, because as a single-player gamer you can not choose BF3 over MW3…

13. Mike says:

Obi TW0 @ well you say the stats were altered because of the people who won’t change to another franchise other then COD no mater what. But you forgot about the BF’s version of this players. Don’t get me wrong BF3 is a fun game and i like the work they give to realse patches and things like this but MW3 is just reaches to a larger crowd in my opinion and that is all AND that your opinion on how you see things things for this 2 games is not corect(personal opinion).
    Truth to be told this 2 games should not be compared because they are very difrent in gameplay and good in their own way.

14. Murf says:

I am looking at both. Cod Mw3 should be here by Tue. BF 3 plays smooth in campaign.

15. I am not surprised at all to see this. While I personally feel that Battlefield 3 was the better game, the entire marketing campaign was a joke. CoD has a large casual audience that could care less about the internet community. We are the vocal few, and what we say only controls a very small portion of the market. MW3 sold like a mother, and while I played it, I am one of those that pretty much thought it was mostly ‘meh.’ I have gone back to black ops recently for my arcadey shooter fix, I think the maps are far more imaginative. That’s neither here nor there though, based on the popularity of the game, if Raptr had included all stats from every platform, MW3 would win. It has the audience, that is just the way it is.

16. MW3 has my vote!! Still, I played BF3 just several times but man am I addicted to MW3 or what!?

17. adam swile says:

Go Battlefield 3 xbox live

18. Xtremebob says:

Listen I really like what both games have done to do something new. I love BF3′s continuation of complete game overhauls, while Call of Duty MW3 sticks to its formula and continues to change the multiplayer game modes, guns, perks, etc. I truthfully dislike Call of Duty in general, because i like it when the environment reacts to my actions and give me a tactical advantage in addition to changing the gameplay and Call of Duty does not do that. That is not to say that the makers of the COD franchise are not successful in their own right. I am happy that both games are succeeding and that the BF series is continuing to grow in popularity while COD keeps its dedicated fanbase.

19. coquiTaino says:

Which type of person will answer a question in a poll and which not? I think COD appeals to a more young audience and BF to a little more older one. I played BF2 for approximately 5 years. For me BF2 is the best multiplayer experience and I am waiting they reach that type of gameplay in the new BF games. On the other hand, COD has been known for they killer single player campaigns and fast paced multiplayer. I think although they both are FPS games they reach different kind of people: COD mostly people that want to run and gun, and BF3 mostly to people that are more tactical. In the end both will have their fans.

20. KingJD says:

bf3 theres more to it and im not used to it, mw3 just easier to play alot of noobs, way too many underagers playing, these numbers dont really count.

21. pray says:

next game part of both games is great, but compared to DLC count and overall play ability my choise is BF3, great improvements, still u can be spawnkilled, but compared to MW3 u play next part of game, not just upgraded old version, as MW3 looks like, pff easy money for them this time, even no DLC so far for it, no more ideas :D

still as games have single player mode, still cheaters appears, atleast BF3 is some security options, this time cookie goes to DICE, easy money makers goes to hell, reputation goes down MW3 for me is like DLC for MW2

22. Kallen Evans says:

honestly Mw3 is to hyped up but bf 3 is better in terms of online play more competative ^^

23. looks like battle field is the better game and cod is more popular

24. Marco Berti says:

Having played both series, they are both great for single player campaigns, i’d give the nod to BF with destructable environments, as for multiplayer, BF wins hand down, not only because it can be more tactical and a longer game but you don’t have as many headless chickens and loud, foul mouthed kids playing it as COD.

25. James says:

I haven’t played either. But, COD is basically the same thing everytime, and the storyline is terrible. Battlefield gameplay looks amazing and origional, to me, and the story seems pretty good.

26. Liam Oliver says:

I actually won the contest Raptr had going for the COD vs. BF showdown haha, I got a free one year subscription to Xbox Live, it was pretty cool!

27. Brian says:

Bah flawed poll…Does not compare PC or PS3 stats

28. Denodax says:

Cod <3

29. Paul says:

Battlefield is really awesome, but I have to go with Call of Duty!